hiding cursor on text terminals

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 12:32:00 GMT 2013

On 7 January 2013 18:24, Damian Rodriguez Sanchez wrote:
> I have compiled a Linux ncurses gcc application on Cygwin. Everything works
> fine except for curs_set(0) calls which do not hide the cursor on text mode
> terminals (they work on X though). Does anybody know of a way to achieve
> this, even if it's not a portable solution?

What terminals have you tried running it in? There's a DEC control
sequence called DECTCEM for hiding or showing the cursor, which is
implemented in mintty (the default Cygwin terminal), xterm, rxvt, and
presumably others.

However, it isn't implemented in the Cygwin console layer used when
running a Cygwin program in a console window. (It could probably be
implemented in the Cygwin DLL using Windows' SetConsoleCursorInfo()
function.)

Andy