disk format question

bartels bartels@mailme.ath.cx
Wed Jan 9 09:20:00 GMT 2013

On 01/08/2013 10:24 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> On 1/8/2013 08:38, bartels wrote:
>> That may very well be true, but I have a friend called locate:
>
> I *had* a friend called "which", but he didn't find it.
>
> I have now unfriended him. ;)

Very funny. Yeah, know thy friends, is true.
Cygwin remains a mongrel, an alien, an exotic thing in almost hostile territory.

> In that case, you shouldn't be looking at /dev names anyway.  They're assigned in order of device discovery, so the device that gets called
> /dev/sdb or whatever depends on what happened before your code ran.

It turns out that it is even easier: the device was switched to read-only. I could not see that, because it is remote.
And dd does not work on udf, but format.com has no such problems.

> In Disk Management, you can permanently assign a USB key a different drive letter than the default.  Now when you put it in, it appears
> somewhere other than code blindly hard-coded with a /dev name expects.

I know. We assign letters with diskpart.

>> Does windows leave a trail when mounting?
>
> Oh, doubtless there's something buried in the NT device namespace, mentioned in the document I pointed you to.  Maybe you could dump two
> copies of it and diff(1) them, and assume that the one line that appears in the output is the new device.

No need for that, fortunately.

> Ugh.

Well said.

- bartels.