Intermittent failures with ctrl-c (was: retrieving process exit codes)

Tom Honermann thonermann@coverity.com
Tue Jan 15 22:17:00 GMT 2013

On 01/02/2013 04:24 PM, Tom Honermann wrote:
> On 01/02/2013 03:48 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I managed to duplicate a hang by really stressing ctrl-c a loop.  It
>> uncovers some rather amazing Windows behavior which I have to think
>> about.  Apparently ExitThread can be called recursively within the
>> thread that Windows creates to handle CTRL-C.
>
> I'm glad you could reproduce.  Based on your description, this sounds
> like a separate issue and not a regression introduced by the workarounds
> you put in place for the ExitProcess / ExitThread race.  Correct?
>
> I wonder if this is the same issue I'm experiencing though.  I'm only
> pressing ctrl-c once and it sounds like you might be deliving a ctrl-c
> to the same process multiple times.  That may not be relevant to the
> root cause however.

I noticed that some changes were checked in related to signal handling
and process termination recently, so I downloaded the most recent
snapshot (20130114) and tested again.  I was still able to produce
hanging processes (including hangs of strace.exe) by hitting ctrl-c in a
mintty window while Cygwin processes ran in an infinite loop inside of a
.bat file.  I was able to produce a hang ~1 out of 20 times.

If you are still working on this, then I apologize for the noise.
Otherwise, assuming you are still looking at this, if I can provide
something further that would be helpful, please let me know.

Tom.