sshd service will not start on Windows 7

Bernd Prager bernd@prager.ws
Tue Jan 29 20:04:00 GMT 2013


On 1/29/2013 2:14 PM, misterblinky wrote:
> I installed cygwin on my windows 7 64-bit machine with openSSH and openSSL,
> nothing else.
>
> I then install sshd via ssh-host-config. I have tried with privilege
> separation and without it. The end result is the same: I cannot start sshd
> as a service (via net start sshd). When I do, I get the message "The CYGWIN
> sshd service could not be started."
>
> The messages I've gotten in /var/log/sshd.log has varied. Most often, I've
> gotten the message "/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or
> world-writable". But I just did another clean install of cygwin and went
> through the process again and there are no messages in sshd.log though the
> server reports as usual that it cannot be started. (NOTE: I'm not suggesting
> that the results change even though i go through the same steps -- I'm
> trying different combinations of suggestions found on the web, sometimes
> with slightly different results, but always with the sshd server not
> starting.)
>
> I've removed and clean installed cygwin probably 30 times, trying different
> tweaks.
>
> Here are some more details:
>
> In ssh-host-config interaction, I chose to create the privileged users
> cyg_server. After installing, as expected cyg_server is the owner of these
> files/dirs:
>
> /var/empty
> /etc/ssh*
>
> Also, I changed permissions to /var/log and /var/log/sshd.log to 777 just to
> ensure that access to this wasn't blocked. I also tried various options
> (like chown-ing these to cyg_server).
>
> The service is configured to run under .\cyg_server with the proper
> password.
>
> I always install cygwin as "Administrator" and I open my cygwin console as
> "Administrator".
>
> whoami gives me my windows login name as expected. However, NOT as expected
> the "groups <my-id>" command doesn't say that I'm in the Administrator
> group, which I am. It shows only "Domain Users". I've tried some workarounds
> suggested for "Domain Users" and none have succeeded
>
> I've worked at this for 3 days (!!) and now I'm just dizzy and need some
> knowledgable help.
>
> thanks in advance for your time/thoughts
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/sshd-service-will-not-start-on-Windows-7-tp95750.html
> Sent from the Cygwin list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
>
Open Windows User Manager and check if cyg_server is in the 
Administrators group.
My sshd does not start without this privilege.
Also I get a better error message if I do "net start sshd".

Try it. Good luck.
-- Bernd

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list