cygwin:the /usr/share directory

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Jan 31 04:08:00 GMT 2013

On 1/30/2013 20:21, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 1/30/2013 10:14 PM, ping wrote:
>> [ping@ping-new-laptop usr]$ du -sh ./share/
>> 4.4G    ./share/
>
> Mine is less than .5G

Mine's 0.8 GiB.

> Doing a "du -sh ./share/*" should
> give you a good overview of which directories contain the most stuff and
> help you target which packages you may consider removing.

Here's a script I call "pigs" that I use for the purpose:

  ---------- 8< ------------ cut here ------------ 8< ---------------

#/bin/sh

if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then
     dir=.
else
     if [ ! -d $1 ]
     then
         echo usage: $0 [directory] [options]
         echo
         echo "  Prints kb in use in directory; if directory isn't"
         echo "  given, '.' is assumed."
         echo
         echo "  If you give options, they are passed to du, in addition"
         echo "  to the -sk options the script provides."
         echo
         exit
     fi
     dir=$1
fi

echo -n Hang on, finding pigs in
if [ $dir = . ]
then
     echo " current directory..."
else
     echo " \"$dir\"..."
fi

du -sk $2 $dir/* | sort -rn | head -10

This script helps me find the 10 biggest pigs on any system with a basic
POSIX user environment.

For what it's worth, the top pig in Cygwin on the box I'm using right
now is TeX.  Unfortunately, while you may not use it directly, it's an
indirect dependency for a lot of software.  You might be able to remove
it anyway if you aren't using the software features that require it.