MSYS mode (continue)

Wed Jul 3 21:03:00 GMT 2013

> On Jul  3 22:24, Alexey Pavlov wrote:
>> 2013/7/3 Christopher Faylor:
>> I need it to be able read short mount points from fstab: <win32_path>
>> <posix_path>.
>> All other options are set by default. With my changes I can have in
>> /etc/fstab both types of mount points - cygwin-like and msys-like.
>
> And why is that necessary?  There are always default options set anyway,
> but a layout change of the fstab file simply makes no sense.  There's no
> win at all.

I think Alexey is trying to replicate MSYS's behavior, so it becomes
more of a drop-in replacement.  Here's my MSYS /etc/fstab (MSYS doesn't
yet support per-user fstab.d/username settings):

C:/MinGW               /mingw
C:/Users/me/Desktop    /desktop
C:/Users/me/Documents  /docs
C:/msys-src            /usr/src

I agree with Corinna that there's no need to make cygwin-in-msys-mode
EXACTLY like MSYS in all of its configuration settings (such as the
syntax of /etc/fstab).

Your MSYS-like cygwin installation would have its own /etc/fstab (in
regular cygwin format), but perhaps your /home area is mapped
differently in that fstab, than in the /etc/fstab in your "regular"
cygwin installation.  Or, like me, I have a separate msys-src and
cygwin-src directory mapped onto MSYS's /usr/src and cygwin's /usr/src,
respectively.

Or is the proposal on the table for the same installation to be usable
in both modes, depending on the nature of the launched application?

--
Chuck