MSYS mode (continue)

Thu Jul 4 14:43:00 GMT 2013

>> Hmm, out of curiousity.  Why is the name MINGW_NT-6.1-WOW64\0 not
>> suitable.  For what is this 32 good for?
>>
>> Sorry, for this stupid question.
>
> No sorry here, it's not stupid.  I agree, why not just drop the "32"?

Because it would break any configure scripts or config.guess that test for:

case $(uname -s) in
MINGW32-* ) ...
esac

There are a few of those in the wild, although modern config.guess says:

     *:MINGW64*:*)
         echo ${UNAME_MACHINE}-pc-mingw64
         exit ;;
     *:MINGW*:*)
         echo ${UNAME_MACHINE}-pc-mingw32
         exit ;;
     i*:MSYS*:*)
         echo ${UNAME_MACHINE}-pc-msys
         exit ;;

(FWIW, I'm not sure what MINGW64 is all about...)

--
Chuck