Home directory issue

Mon Jul 8 18:12:00 GMT 2013

On 7/8/2013 12:17 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2013-07-08 11:09-0400 Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/2013 7:50 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
>>> After installing Cygwin on a new system that is in a domain, there is
>>> something that is breaking with user setup.
>>>
>>>   * The user home directory is not getting created
>>>   * /usr/loca/bin & /usr/bin are not prepended to PATH
>>>   * The user home directory is/cygdrive/Users/<user>,
>>>      instead of/home/<user>
>>>   * The path IS correct in/etc/passwd (/home/<user>)
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Is the HOME environment variable set in your Windows environment?  If not,
>> check the postinstall scripts in '/etc/postinstall', paying particular
>> attention to those that don't end in '.done'.  If you have some of these,
>> run them yourself with 'sh <scriptname>' and then move the script to
>> '<scriptname>.done'  Run the scripts in the order they appear.  Otherwise,
>> if HOME is defined in the Windows environment, just remove the definition.
>> You may find you have to rerun some of the postinstall scripts to "recover",
>> particularly '000-cygwin-post-install.sh'.  Or you can try wiping the
>> installation and starting over.
>>

> I experienced all the same symptoms reported by the OP with my
> setup.exe on Wine attempt.  So you have given me hope that some of the
> errors I saw were due to not setting HOME.  Could you be more specific
> about exactly how HOME should be set "in your Windows environment".

<snip>

> Are there any other environment variables that should be set as well
> before running setup.exe for a fresh install?

I believe you have drawn the opposite conclusion from what I was trying
to convey.  It is best to _not_ have HOME set in your Windows environment
prior to running 'setup.exe'.  If you do have it set, 'setup.exe' will
use that directory as your home rather than the default '/home/<username>'.

--
Larry