Cygwin, git and x: directory

Mark Levedahl mlevedahl@gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 16:12:00 GMT 2013

On 07/12/2013 08:42 AM, Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> (please Cc: me in replies, not subscribed to the lists)
>
> Hi Cygwin and git developers,
>
> Does following scenario show signs of bugs in Cygwin and/or git?
>
> # setup git repo
> $ cd /tmp
> $ mkdir foo && cd foo
> $ git init
>
> # create x: directory
> $ mkdir x:
> $ ls
> x:

I would report this on the Cygwin list, not here. Any use of dos file
paths using a Cygwin tool is not recommended, officially only POSIX
paths are supported. If cygwin's Cmake is generating dos style paths,
that is a bug that needs reporting to the Cygwin list. Also, I'm not
sure how the developers will react to mishandling a directory named x:,
but the behaviour you see is a limitation of the Cygwin platform, not of
git.

Mark