How does 'alternatives' find a file?

Wed Jul 17 06:32:00 GMT 2013

On 7/16/2013 4:11 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 7/16/2013 2:46 PM, Henry Baker wrote:
>> I've had to create a cygwin tree from a circa 2011 tar dump, and I've
>> had  a devil of a time trying to make it work.
> Looking at the ones I have in /etc/alternatives, they are the first kind
> listed (or the ones that you say work for you).  Make sure the DOS SYSTEM
> attribute (and only that attribute) is set.  Also, if the tree doesn't
> come from Cygwin 1.7 days and you're not using the same character set as
> you were then, you'll need to recreate the symlinks to get them working
> again.

Just use the alternatives tool itself to forcefully recreate the
symlinks -- in fact, there's a script that will do that for you. Look in
/etc/postinstall/ for the files that have "gcc" somewhere in their name.
Find the ones that invoke /usr/sbin/alternatives and run the appropriate
ones (whichever ones set the default to gcc4 rather than gcc3).

--
Chuck