passing -no-undefined to libtool with autoconf/automake

Sun Jul 21 18:56:00 GMT 2013

On 2013-07-21 03:43, marco atzeri wrote:
> As latest gcc's are not ignoring anymore "-no-undefined"
> and the configure halt with error if LDFLAGS="-no-undefined"
> is defined in advance

Right, as gcc no longer ignores arguments it doesn't accept.

> I am currently building packages adding almost at the
> end of configure.ac
[snip]
> just before  AC_CONFIG_FILES.
>
> There is any better/practical way ?

The "correct" way is to add -no-undefined to lib*_la_LDFLAGS variables
for each library, which is portable and can be sent upstream (despite
popular misconception, this flag is harmless on non-PE targets).  If
that's too difficult (e.g. a package won't autoreconf cleanly), then if
LDFLAGS is otherwise empty, then pass LDFLAGS=-no-undefined to cygmake
(or MAKEOPTS).

Yaakov