ptys - I give up

Daniel Colascione dancol@dancol.org
Fri Jul 26 16:55:00 GMT 2013

On 7/26/2013 8:27 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44:32PM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>
>> Ugly, only half-implemented, but better: a hook-based pseudoconsole
>> system for Windows.
>
> This is what I was holding out for.  The last time it came up here,
> people seemed vehemently opposed to the idea since implementations that
> do this (like the Console app and a couple of libraries floating around)
> seem to have to poll the console looking for data and that could result
> in data loss.
>
> I have had code (not mine) sitting in my Cygwin directory for years
> which does this but I couldn't 100% convince myself that the detractors
> for this idea weren't right.  Does your code work around this?

I'm also against screen scrapers. That's why I wrote this library: it doesn't
poll. It actually intercepts console APIs and implements console handles as
pseudohandles, just like Windows <= 7 did, forwarding console API requests to a
server. Any console program that works with Windows 7 should work with this
library.

I'm not aware of any other implementations that use this approach. There's no
chance of data loss.