BLODA extension: console interoperability

Sat Jul 27 03:18:00 GMT 2013

On 7/26/2013 11:29 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 04:07:55PM +0400, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>> Let me also drop my 5 cents into this...
>> We should be very careful about this.  At least there is one case where
>> difference between Cygwin console and real Windows console plays a key
>> role: ncurses.  Normal Windows console is very basic and does not
>> understand 90% of control sequences.  As a result, ncurses has been
>> extended with 'terminal drivers', which redirect certain control
>> functions to OS (Windows in our case) API calls.  Which, of course,
>> work only with real Windows console.
>
> The "console" that a Cygwin program sees is not just the raw Windows
> console.  Hopefully the Cygwin version of ncurses understands that
> Cygwin extends the functionality of the console so that a big subset of
> standard control sequences will just work.

cygwin-ncurses does not do any of the stuff that Pavel described. It
treats the cygwin terminal just as described by $TERM (which, if
TERM=cygwin, uses the terminfo definition we've painstakingly created
over the years) -- and so takes advantage of the "gloss" that cygwin
places over the plain console.

OTOH, if TERM=xterm, for instance, then it just uses the xterm terminfo.

--
Chuck