problem with 'patch' version 2.7.1-1 in Apache OpenOffice build under Windows

Mon Jul 29 15:50:00 GMT 2013

I forgot the CC in my first reply, sorry.  I extended my reply a bit.

On Jul 29 16:17, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Oliver-Rainer Wittmann, a software developer working on Apache
> OpenOffice.
> I am not subscribed to this mailing cygwin at cygwin dot com. Thus,
> please include my mail address in your replies - Thx in advance.
>
> I just want to inform you that version 2.7.1-1 of 'patch' breaks the
> current Apache OpenOffice build under Windows.
> It is caused by the fact that a non-CRLF patch could not be applied
> to a CRLF file.

dos2unix?

> I have seen that this has been already reported on this list - see
> thread [Bug with Cygwin's 'quilt' is actually in 'patch']
>
> As Apache OpenOffice is built on different platforms (Windows,
> MacOS, Linux, ...) and developers are working on different platforms
> it can happen that patches and files got different line endings.
> Thus, Apache OpenOffice is hit by the change in new cygwin 'patch'.
>
> Question:
> Is it still possible to change the line ending of a certain line in
> a file from CRLF to non-CRLF with 'patch' version 2.7.1-1?

This is an upstream choice.  What you can do:

- Use dos2unix.

- Use a temporary text mount
  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mount

- Discuss with the patch maintainers why they refuse to patch a UNIX
  file with a DOS patch and vice versa.

  I guess it's a problem with mixing the line endings.  If you have a
  file with UNINX line endings and a patch containing DOS lines, what is
  the end result supposed to be?  Are the CRs to be kept intact or not?
  Since patch doesn't know what the input is about, there's no way to be
  sure what behaviour is right or wrong.  Something like that.

Corinna

Red Hat