ASLR breaks cygwin

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Jun 6 17:06:00 GMT 2013

On 6/6/2013 10:52, Dan Kegel wrote:

> I wonder if we could get them to recognize the parent-child
> relationship somehow, and keep the same address space
> in the child.
>
> Just kidding.   Hell would sooner freeze over.

I don't know about that.  For a long time, they had a bigger conflict of
interest with Cygwin due to SFU/SUA/Interix and the POSIX subsystem.
They announced SUA's doom a couple of years ago[1] and the need for a
separate native POSIX API is gone[2].  I even recall reading on this
list that Microsoft now recommends Cygwin, at least unofficially.

Perhaps Microsoft now has some incentive to create a native fork(2) like
call in their OS that Cygwin could use.  (Or something close enough,
like Linux's clone(2).)

[1] http://goo.gl/4hrPg

[2] Presumably, gone with the 90's, when government contracts would
sometimes require POSIX compatibility.