Cross-compiling Linux kernel

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Tue Jun 18 18:23:00 GMT 2013

On 6/18/2013 9:37 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> There was a project out there many years ago which did this.  You could
>> run simple linux binaries on Windows.  I offered to host the development
>> on sourceware.org (aka cygwin.com) but, IIRC, the developer never
>> responded.
>>
>> I don't remember what the name of the project was and I'm sure that it
>> won't work with more modern versions of Windows but it is a cool idea.
>
> Here's one project: http://lbw.sourceforge.net/ but I don't remember if
> this is the one I was thinking about or not.

Here's another: http://atratus.org/

Quoting their page "Atratus is a Windows program that can run unmodified
Linux binaries."  ... "Atratus can load ELF format executables created
with gcc under Linux run them on a Windows system without a CPU emulator
or virtual machine".

Haven't used it, but it does sound interesting, and its currently being
developed (version 0.10).
--
René Berber