offline cygwin install question

Thu Jun 27 08:33:00 GMT 2013

On Jun 26 16:16, LMH wrote:
> I have a win7 64-bit machine that is not online and I want to update
> the cygwin install. What is the best method for doing this? Can I
> just copy the current cygwin install off of my XP 32-bit machine and
> drop it into the 64-bit win7 rig, or will that create a problem?

The easiest way, especially if you have more than one machine, is
IMHO to create a local mirror of the Cygwin distro first:

  <Check if you have at least 30 Gigs of free space>
  mkdir cygwin
  rsync -av --delete-after cygwin.com:cygwin/ cygwin

This creates a local mirror of the 32 and 64 bit Cygwin versions.
The 32 bit version is more complete and runs on 32 and 64 bit,
as cgf pointed out.

The 64 bit version is not as complete yet as the 32 bit version,
but it's pretty stable already and a mirror of that only takes
9 Gigs:

  mkdir -p cygwin/64bit
  rsync -av --delete-after cygwin.com:cygwin/64bit cygwin/64bit

Copy this stuff over to an USB drive.  If you want to use the 64 bit
release, there's setup64.exe already in the cygwin/64bit directory.
If you want to use the 32 bit release, you also have to copy
http://cygwin.com/setup.exe to the USB drive.

Now, on the offline machine, plug in the USB drive (let's use u: as
drive letter as in cgf's example), and run either setup.exe for 32 bit
or setup64.exe for the 64 bit release.

Note that, if it already *has* a Cygwin install, it's almost 100% sure
that it's the 32 bit release.  So, run setup.exe in this case.

In the second dialog, choose "Install from Locale Directory".

In the fourth dialog, choose U:\cygwin as "Local Package Directory".

The rest should work as usual.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat