Failure with fork()

Thu Jun 27 21:52:00 GMT 2013

On 2013-06-27 15:33, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> I think you keep assuming I have some version of Cygwin already
> installed when that is not the case.  It is the last stage of the
> initial attempt at installation using setup.exe that fails on Wine due
> to the fork bug. Furthermore, when I download setup.exe from
> http://cygwin.com/setup.exe it contains the fork bug. That version is
> self-contained, i.e., only setup.exe needs to be downloaded, not
> cygwin1.dll in addition.  I presume that is because setup.exe uses a
> static version of the cygwin library as a matter of convenience rather
> than depending on an external cygwin1.dll that could be separately
> downloaded.

There is no such thing as static linkage of Cygwin.  setup.exe is in
fact a native Windows (MinGW) executable, due to the fact that it needs
to be able to run before Cygwin is installed, or while upgrading
cygwin1.dll.

Therefore, if you are seeing fork() errors when running setup, they are
actually coming from the postinstall scripts which are run after
installing files.  In that case, the best solution may be something
along the lines of (untested):

1) Open the Wine equivalent of taskmgr.exe.
2) Run setup.exe again and install just the Base packages.
3) During postinstall, kill any bash.exe processes ASAP.
4) setup.exe should list some postinstall errors before completion,
which can be ignored for now.
5) After setup.exe is finished, replace C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll with
the latest snapshot DLL.
6) Run setup.exe again with the same options; the postinstall scripts
should (in theory) run properly this time.
7) Launch Cygwin Terminal once to set up your environment.
8) Run setup.exe one more time to install additional packages.

HTH,

Yaakov