1.7.20: cygicons-0.dll has gone missing

Fri Jun 28 14:38:00 GMT 2013

On 6/28/2013 6:16 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:

>>> Doesn't this suggest that cygicons-0.dll should be included
>>> in the base cygwin package?
>
>> base does not needs icons, so in IMHO no.
>
> That's a bit flawed line, IMO.
> Default install should put user's system in a consistent working order.
> Missing icons is not something I would call "consistent".

What part of a default install [1] *requires* icons from cygicon-0.dll?
  Now, if you're talking about updating an existing cygwin installation
via setup.exe [with no special package selection], then yeah -- this is
a *known* breakage.  But it's better than the previous *known issue*
where a default "Base" install [1] would pull in python and bits of X11.
  THAT is what this packaging change was intended to fix, and because we
did so deliberately in order to break requires: dependencies, we
couldn't very well avoid the problem you see by adding those same
requires: dependencies right back.

when you upgrade.  AND, if you didn't do that...when you see an error
due to a "routine upgrade"...go back and DO read that list.

[1] And by "default install" I mean "new installation of cygwin, using
setup.exe, on a virgin system that has never before had cygwin
installed", where NO special package selection is made.  E.g. a "Base"
installation.

And really, missing icons doesn't break a darn thing. It just makes
things look less pretty, temporarily, until you manually install the
correct package.

--
Chuck