Follow up regarding setup.exe hanging

Sun Mar 10 21:03:00 GMT 2013

On 3/10/2013 10:31 AM, d.henman wrote:
> Now when ran with the proper permissiong, setup.exe still hangs.  Here is the output just before setup.exe hangs:
> -------------------------------- start
> $c/cygwin-packages/setup -q -n -D -K http://cygwin.com/setup.exe.sig  -l C:\cygwin-packages  -R C:\cygwin  -s http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/cygwin   -P openssh
> Starting cygwin install, version 2.774
> User has backup/restore rights
> io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-proxy-host) failed 2 No such file or directory
> io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-proxy-port) failed 2 No such file or directory
> io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/extrakeys) failed 2 No such file or directory
> Current Directory: C:cygwin-packages
> Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.
> Selected local directory: C:cygwin-packages
> ---------------- end
>
> I have no idea about what the reference to "McShield" or to "McAfee" is about. All I can think of is that it is proprietary software that I don't own and Mr. McAfee is in South America somewhere.  Is the absence of this causing setup.exe to go crazy and
> hang?
>
> Any advice to get this working would be appreciated.

While running 'setup.exe' from a Cygwin shell may require you to
reboot before you see the results of your update, if you are going to
do this, you should at least use '/' instead of '\' for path separators.
Better yet, use POSIX path notation.  Alternatively, run 'setup.exe'
directly from an elevated cmd.exe instance if you prefer DOS path
syntax.

--
Larry