Fwd: reboot command behaves different on Linux

Frank Fesevur ffes@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 22 07:45:00 GMT 2013

2013/3/21 Anthony Geoghegan:
> Nice work, Frank. I took a quick look at the man pages. The only improvement
> I'd suggest is that the first sentence of the Description for reboot.8 would
> read better by adding "the user" like so:
>
> Change
> "These programs allow to reboot, halt, poweroff, hibernate or suspend the
> system."
> "These programs allow the user to reboot, halt, poweroff, hibernate or
> suspend the system."

Sounds good. I guess Corinna will fix this in the CVS for a next version.

> I also noticed that "shutdown -h" acts differently on Linux. :)

Yes, that bugs my for quite some time too, is -h for halt or
hibernate? Now the -s is the same as the Windows shutdown.exe. The
changes are really straight forward. -b could be the new short option
for hibernate, doesn't interfere with the main linux shutdown options
or the windows shutdown. Leaving -s as it is for backward/windows
compatibility reasons and adding -h, --halt for shutdown and -P,
--poweroff. But then, having three options that actually don't do
anything, just for the sake of compatibility? EWX_POWEROFF is the
default action already. That's why I left those shutdown options as
they are. But I gladly write the patch if nobody has objections
against changing -h.

I'm also considering adding possibility to customize the shutdown
message: shutdown -rf 22:00 "Rebooting because of Windows Updates".
Who knows...

And does anybody ever use that reason thing on the windows shutdown?

Regards,
Frank