[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: smartmontools-6.1-1 (and 6.1-2 64bit)
Tue Mar 26 20:09:00 GMT 2013
Version 6.1-1 of smartmontools has been uploaded.
(There is also an experimental version 6.1-2for 64 bit Cygwin)
- smartctl '-l directory': improved output format.
- smartctl: Fix parsing of '-l select,cont+SIZE' option.
- smartctl prints ATA Additional Product Id (OEM Id).
- smartctl '-s/-g wcache' for SCSI devices to control write cache.
- smartctl '-s/-g rcache' for SCSI devices to control read cache.
- smartctl prints more info for SCSI devices: media rotation rate,
form factor, physical block size, lowest LBA alignement, logical
block provisioning, disk protection type and selftest progress status.
- smartctl '--identify' updated for latest ATA ACS-3 spec.
- smartd runs /etc/smartd_warning.sh to generate warning emails
- smartd '-w PATH' option to specify this executable.
- smartd '-d ignore' directive.
- smartd DEVICESCAN ignores devices already specified.
- smartd: added support for state persistence ('-s') and attribute
logging('-A') for SCSI devices.
- smartd '-W' directive uses ATA attribute 190 if 194 is missing.
- Support of larger SCSI defect lists via READ DEFECT(12).
- Device type '-d usbjmicron,p' for Prolific USB bridges.
- Many HDD, SSD and USB additions to drive database.
- Windows: DEVICESCAN now supports up to 128 drives.
For a full list of changes see NEWS and ChangeLog in
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools and ticket report at
Please read the Windows and Cygwin sections in the INSTALL file.
For open issues see
Smartmontools contains utility programs (smartctl, smartd) to
control/monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and
Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.) built into most ATA/SATA and
SCSI/SAS hard drives and solid-state drives. In many cases, these
utilities will provide advancedwarning of disk degradation and failure.
Smartctl is a command line utility designed to perform tasks such as
printing the SMART self-test and error logs, enabling and disabling
SMART automatic testing, and initiating device self-tests.
Smartd is a daemon that monitors the drives every 30 minutes
(configurable), logs SMART errors and changes of SMART Attributes via
the syslog interface.
Smartd can also be configured to schedule self-tests and send email
warnings or run other scripts if problems are detected.
On Cygwin, smartd can be run as a windows service via cygrunsrv.
To update your installation, click on the "Install or update now" link
on the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: cygwin <at> cygwin.com .
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
cygwin-announce-unsubscribe-you=yourdomain.com <at> cygwin.com
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
More information about the Cygwin