mintty, xterm and rxvt freezes when displaying a binary stream

Jack Adrian Zappa adrianh.bsc@gmail.com
Tue May 14 00:23:00 GMT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 May 2013 22:35, Adrian H wrote:
> > I inadvertently dumped a binary stream to the terminal and it froze
> > mintty.  When I tried to kill the process dumping the data, it
> > wouldn't die, even when using -9 switch.  When I used Process Explorer
> > to kill it, it died and mintty resumed working.
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-04/msg00362.html

Sounds like its related, however, if I only send 369 of the 370 lines,
it is fine and the characters sent to the terminal end up on my
command line.  I.e. I get this on my command line after the cat of 369
lines.

$ 1;2c1;2c1;2c

Which is part of the return string sans the leading "\x5b\x3f" a.k.a.
"\e[".  According to that link, you provided, it sounds like only one
key is necessary to cause this problem.

In any case, how does Linux deal with this issue?

Adrian