Attn: Yaakov [Was: Re: cygutils Postinstall Script Errors With Exit Code 128]

Wed May 29 23:51:00 GMT 2013

On 5/29/2013 11:47 AM, Reini Urban wrote:
> I got the cygutils postinstall error also, caused by missing dependencies.
>
> $ cat /etc/postinstall/cygutils.sh
> /usr/bin/update-desktop-database
> /usr/bin/update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
>
> both scripts do not exist, and are no cygutils reqs.
> please test against it.
> like:
> test -f /usr/bin/update-desktop-database && /usr/bin/update-desktop-database
> test -f /usr/bin/update-mime-database && /usr/bin/update-mime-database
> /usr/share/mime

Known issue, waiting for cygport fix.  cygutils relies on cygport
auto-generating the postinstall scripts which invoke those tools.
Cygport does this because the install package contains the following two
files:

/usr/share/applications/cygstart.desktop
/usr/share/mime/packages/cygutils.xml

...and it generates the postinstall script unconditionally (e.g. I can't
turn it off) and the generated postinstall scripts themselves call the
tools unconditionally.  Cygport also automatically adds the packages
which contain those tools to the requires: field of the setup.hint,
so...under normal circumstances, everything should be fine.

However, at user request I've manually removed the requires: line,
because the addition of these two files to the cygutils package
shouldn't have the effect of pulling *PERL* into the Base category. I
assumed we'd live with the semi-brokenness for a few days, until...

...I'm waiting for Yaakov to say whether this should be "fixed" in
cygport [1], or if I should override all the auto-generation stuff by
manually creating an explicit postinstall script (with suitable tool
existence checks) and setup.hint.

[1] arguably, cygport is doing the right thing: (1) ensuring that the
tools are called to install the two files, and (2) ensuring that the
packages which contain those tools are listed in the requires: line. So,
I'm not sure what the "correct" fix should be, and am waiting for
Yaakov's input.

See: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-05/msg00211.html

--
Chuck