Postinstall Script Errors With Exit Code 128

Paul.Nickerson@desknetinc.com Paul.Nickerson@desknetinc.com
Fri May 31 08:34:00 GMT 2013

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA),
> whether known or unknown.  If so, getting rid of it will certainly help.
>
> > I tried copying cygcheck.exe to other directories and leaving
cygwin1.dll
> > in bin, and cygcheck does not hang when run from other directories.
>
> Interesting.  Maybe there's some Windows permission problems in the
> directory you were running from?

I have fixed it. Thank you for your help.

I have a few other AWS EC2 instances. One other was having trouble with
Cygwin install, and none of the rest were. I tried comparing installed
applications, but got nowhere. I also tried installing Windows updates on
the troubled system, and copying the cygwin from a healthy system to the
troubled one. Neither attempt worked. I had looked into folder permissions
before, which all looked fine, and tried installing to another folder and
even another drive, but that hadn't helped.

I then used WinDbg to run C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
"/etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh", and I think I got this
error: SetContext failed, 0x8007001F. Looking online, it seems that code
is associated with "A device attached to the system is not functioning". I
have already rebooted a bunch of times. I used Belarc Advisor to grab the
virtual hardware version. Belarc Advisor said the System Model / Main
Circuit Board / BIOS on both troubled instances was "Xen HVM domU
3.1.2-92.1.13.el5.", while on the other working instances it was "Xen HVM
domU 3.4.3-2.6.18 09/01/2012".

So, I shut down the instance (I use EBS volumes), created an AMI from it,
created an Instance from the AMI, and started up that instance. This has
the effect of applying a new virtual hardware if available (proven by the
fact that I get a new Instance ID), as well as moving to different
physical hardware. After this, Belarc Advisor reported the good virtual
hardware version. And, I was able to successfully install and use Cygwin
normally. :)

I have attached the output of running that bash.exe command inside WinDbg,
just in case it's useful for anything.

Again, thank you for you help.
 ~ Paul