ssh logon failure

Tue Nov 12 00:54:00 GMT 2013

On 11/11/2013 7:23 PM, greenspan wrote:
> Furthermore, I've just discovered that I _can_ log in as the cyg_server user!

This is not recommended for normal use.

>>From there, if i attempt to su to myself (user greendg1), I see this:
>
> ---
> $ su - greendg1
> su: warning: cannot change directory to //APLFS01/GREENDG1$: Not a directory
> mkdir: cannot create directory `//APLFS01': Read-only file system
> //APLFS01/GREENDG1$ could not be created.
> Setting HOME to /tmp.
> ---
>
> This utterly confuses me; I know what APLFS01 is, but not why it's part of
> this horrible mix... I'm guessing that I have an environment variable
> problem, and that depending upon how I log in and when, the environment is
> improperly set, which is causing bash to fail, which is why I get the
> "operation not permitted" error.  But this is all conjecture.
>
> What variable contains the value that bash uses (or ssh or su pass to bash)?

'ssh' gets its home directory from '/etc/passwd'.  For 'cyg_server' this
would be '/var/empty' and the shell would be '/bin/false' (now it's probably
obvious why 'cyg_server' is not meant to be used as a login account).

If you've set HOME in your Windows environment, 'su' may be picking up
on that.  But I think you're heading off into the weeds with this line
of investigation...

--
Larry