Intermittent failures retrieving process exit codes

Tom Honermann thonermann@coverity.com
Thu Nov 14 15:21:00 GMT 2013

> thanks for letting us know!

You're welcome :)

> I'm very glad to read that this is an OS bug and a fix is available.
>
> At least partially.  I'm a bit confused.  As far as I understand it this
> is the situation now:
>
>    Vista/2008 and earlier:  no fix available.
>    W7/2008R2:               only hotfix for manual installation
>    W8/2012:                 no fix available.
>    W8.1/2012R2:             fixed.
>
> Did I get that right?  That sounds a bit weird...

That is how I understand it.  Microsoft requires a Premier Support
agreement in order to request hotfixes and I am not a party on any such
agreement.  So, I worked with former colleagues at another company that
does have a Premier support agreement and that I knew were also
experiencing the issue.  They only requested a hotfix for Windows 7 SP1
and Windows 2008 R2 as those are the only Windows releases they were
concerned about having a fix for.  The result: it is fixed in currently
shipping versions and a hotfix is available for those specific releases,
but other releases remain vulnerable.  Addressing those releases will
presumably require someone with access to a Premier Support agreement to
request additional hotfix releases.

Tom.