Fwd: Subversion packages

Mon Nov 18 20:33:00 GMT 2013

On 2013-11-18 12:35, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Kevin Connor Arpe wrote:
>> I was thinking about this type of SVN package setup:
>> * 1.6.x (svn_1.6)
>> * 1.7.x (svn_1.7)
>> * 1.8.x (svn_1.8)
>> * svn (latest -- currently svn_1.8)
>>
>> I could create statically linked binaries that can live side-by-side,
>> e.g., /usr/bin/svn1.6, svn1.7, svn1.8 and plain old "svn" which is the
>> latest.
>
> I'm strongly against statically linking the binaries. It produces
> very large binaries and will require recreating the binaries any
> time a bug is fixed in any of the many dependent libraries. It also
> does not address the API bindings which require DLLs to function,
> for example the Perl binding used by git-svn. There is also the
> Apache module to consider.

There are also a number of svn-dependent components in Ports which link
against libsvn*-1, so the shared libraries cannot simply go away.

> I suppose you could have a system where the versioned svn packages
> provide only a statically linked binaries and none of the other
> libraries, while the unversioned Subversion packages provide
> dynamically linked binaries and all the libraries.

*Iff* supporting multiple versions is deemed necessary, this would be
the way to go.

> I know of no other Linux distribution that supports multiple
> installed versions of Subversion. I don't think it's a good idea.

Me neither, but given the recent sqlite3 locking discussion, I won't be
surprised if compatibility with native Windows clients trumps that.

Yaakov