setup-x86_64.exe --no-admin: Mount error, access denied

rme@bluemail.ch rme@bluemail.ch
Thu Nov 21 08:22:00 GMT 2013

Hello,

I am about to create a silent install script to help automatically deploying
Cygwin. Actually the target environment are machines where users don't have
admin rights so Cygwin needs to be installed without administrator privileges. I
see in the documentation and FAQ that the --no-admin command-line option should
allow this.

When I run setup-x86_64.exe with the --no-admin option in silent mode it
actually seems to launch normally and starts downloading packages. After
downloading the last package there is a pop-up dialog box titled "mount" with
the error "Access is denied." displayed and setup stops.

The exact command-line looks as follows:
setup-x86_64.exe --no-admin -q -l "C:\Download\GWP\cygwin\cygwin-setup\packages"
-s ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/cygwin/ -R C:\temp\cygwin -P
cvs,file,make,mintty,openssh,rsync,vim -d

I have tried the same with setup-x86.exe and this one seems to work fine. So for
the moment I just install Cygwin x86.

Is this a bug in setup-x86_64.exe or is this "as designed"?

In the FAQ I could read that silent setup and no-admin setup should be supported
for both, x86 and x86_64.

best regards,
Rainer