chere + mintty doesn't work with mapped drives

Charles Butterfield charles.butterfield@nextcentury.com
Sat Nov 30 18:30:00 GMT 2013

I think I've narrowed down the problem to the terminal emulator.

First - I did try modifying xhere to do a "cd $CHERE_DIR" (and then $NETWORK_PATH)
but neither variable worked.

I then noticed that if I start bash from a cmd.exe emulator (and adjust the path to
Include /bin), that I can see (and cd to) a mapped drive.  But I cannot "see" (via ls)
the mapped drive when using mintty.

From cmd.exe+bash: (Y: is the mapped drive)
$ ls -l /cygdrive/
total 16
d---------+ 1 TrustedInstaller TrustedInstaller 0 Nov 30 11:37 c/
drwx------+ 1 SYSTEM           SYSTEM           0 Nov 30 11:37 e/
drwx------+ 1 SYSTEM           SYSTEM           0 Nov 30 11:37 g/
drwxrwxrwx  1 ????????         ????????         0 Feb  2  2013 y/

cb@hpc15 /usr/bin
$ cd /cygdrive/y

cb@hpc15 /cygdrive/y
$ ls
Archive                                    Photos
Audio                                      RECYCLER
Backups                                    Reunion 2006 Photos

From mintty+bash: (Y: is the mapped drive)
cb@hpc15 ~
$ ls -l /cygdrive/
total 16
d---------+ 1 TrustedInstaller TrustedInstaller 0 Nov 30 11:37 c
drwx------+ 1 SYSTEM           SYSTEM           0 Nov 30 11:37 e
drwx------+ 1 SYSTEM           SYSTEM           0 Nov 30 11:37 g

cb@hpc15 ~
$ cd /cygdrive/y
-bash: cd: /cygdrive/y: No such file or directory

cb@hpc15 ~

I suspect that whatever is going on that affects "ls" and "cd" is also
affecting chere/xhere.

Not sure what the next step should be.

-- Charlie