Installing new cygwin programs, writes over /usr/local/bin link

cygwin@kosowsky.org cygwin@kosowsky.org
Wed Oct 16 15:41:00 GMT 2013

Corinna Vinschen wrote at about 13:47:46 +0200 on Wednesday, October 16, 2013:
 > On Oct 15 17:56, ANONYMOUS wrote:
 > > Is there any reason why each time a new cygwin program is
 > > installed/updated, the installer overwrites my /usr/local/bin link?
 > >
 > > I symlink /usr/local/bin to another location and it gets overwritten
 > > each time.
 > >
 > > Is there any way to avoid such behavior?
 >
 > Not for the time being.  Rather than creating a symlink, create a
 > mount point in /etc/fstab or /etc/fstab.d/$USER:
 >
 >   C:/your/own/local/bin /usr/local/bin xxx binary 0 0

Thanks Corinna...
Just a follow-up question.
I have found that the fstab.d mounts don't automount. Is that by
design? Or is there some way to turn on automounting. For now I need
to run mount -a manually (or I guess I could put in my .bash_profile)