Fwd: Way to test cyglsa?

Mon Sep 16 20:50:00 GMT 2013

On 9/16/2013 3:56 PM, Evan Rowley wrote:
> The user cyg_server was generated by the ssh-host-config script and
> while the server itself is on a domain, all the users involved with
> cygwin / ssh / sshd are local users.
>
> I've noticed that along with the local cyg_server account, there is
> also a local sshd account. It appears to be disabled. Is that normal?

Yes.  That's for privilege separation.  It's fine.

> What can I do to be sure that seteuid can be called by cyg_server? The
> user is in the Administrators group and to my knowledge, that should
> be a qualifier to run seteuid.

The only thing I can think of here is that cyglsa isn't doing what it
should.  Why don't you send along your cygcheck output
(<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>) in case there's something there
that would help there.

> I went ahead and reconfigured /etc/passwd, the sshd service via
> ssh-host-config, and the LSA passwords for the users. I'm still
> experiencing the same problem but now with a new and odd variation.
> Attempting to connect via ssh yeilds the same result as before but
> additionally causes the sshd service to stop. No errros are being
> reported in the event logs and the /var/log/sshd.log file looks the
> same as before. Output is below:

<snip>

Yep, that's expected when you run sshd as debug.  That's another
reason I set up a separate service for the debug version.  Keeps me
from needing to edit anything to switch back and forth and I never
have to worry about the "limitations" of running a debug version
when I don't mean to be. :-)

--
Larry