What is wrong with SVN?

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 01:20:00 GMT 2013

On 29/09/2013 20:39, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> What is wrong with this command:
>
> $ svn co svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/fortran-dev fortran-dev
>

> On GNU/Linux (kubuntu 12.04 64 bit) it is completed successfully but
> on Cygwin (32 bit) it fails after a while in this way:
>
> [...]
> A fortran-dev/gcc/testsuite/gnat.dg/abstract_with_anonymous_result.adb
> A    fortran-dev/gcc/testsuite/gnat.dg/renaming4.ads
> A    fortran-dev/gcc/testsuite/gnat.dg/loop_optimization14.ads
> svn: E200030: sqlite[S14]: unable to open database file
> svn: E200030: Additional errors:
> svn: E200030: sqlite[S14]: unable to open database file

Works for me. Using your command (above), I checked out revision 203020
successfully in 32-bit Cygwin running under Windows 7 Ultimate. Here are
some ideas:

Firstly, check to see which versions of subversion, sqlite3 and cygwin
you're using. Check the output of the following command, and if you're
using older packages then try updating:

     $ cygcheck -c cygwin sqlite3 subversion
     Cygwin Package Information
     Package              Version        Status
     cygwin               1.7.25-1       OK
     sqlite3              3.7.17-3       OK
     subversion           1.8.3-1        OK

Secondly, make sure you're using the cygwin version of 'svn' (i.e. check
that some other subversion client isn't in your path):

     $ which svn
     /usr/bin/svn

Thirdly, if the database file is locked then that could point to an old
version of sqlite3 (namely 3.7.12.1) clashing with another subversion
client (e.g. TortoiseSVN), or some anti-virus software locking a file in
the '.svn' directory (e.g. 'wc.db'). See if you can check out into an
area of the drive that isn't being virus scanned.

Fourth, the branch you're trying to check out is quite large. Are you
running out of drive space?

Finally, if all of the above fail, follow the problem reporting
guidelines carefully:
http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Cheers,

Dave.