Request for Junctions be treated consistently

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Tue Apr 1 16:40:00 GMT 2014

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 29 05:53, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> Linda Walsh wrote:
>>> If you use the 'mountvol' you a *local* root folder
>>> mounted at some drive letter that can be maintained over
>>> boots. is listed as a JUNCTION and treated by cygwin
>>> as a regular dir.
>>>
>>> For some reason the other type of directory hookup made
>>> by "linkd" which also created a JUNKTION
>>> vs. (mklink creating a SYMLINK or SYMLINKD) is shown
>>> as a soft-pointer .
>> ---- hit send instead of save...Sigh...
>>
>> What I would like to see is restoring the native
>> directory look to 'linkd' so that it could be use as
>> a weaker sybling of linux's 'bind' command. Since there is no way to
>> namespaces or have symlinks
>> honored with out this, I would really be beneficial to not have
>> those lumped in with SYMLINKs, as they are really JUNCTIONS.
>>
>> So could it be seen by cygwin as a dir and not a symlink.
>>
>> Ideal cygwin would be able to tell there was a 'mount' there, but
>> symlinks are just walked all over these days..
>
> If you create a directory junction to an existing dir and treat it as
> directory, the directory shows up twice under the same device number.
> Find or tar will enumerate (and archive) the dir twice.
>
> A mount junction is typically used to mount devices.  The mount point
> will be visible because the device number changes at the mount dir.
----
If I mount a device using mount vol in 2 different places, will they
have different device numbers the same?

I.e. fallback position is to use a small partition for common elements
and mount it multiple times in the hierarchy.

Seems like mounting the same vol on a subdir of itself would cause
a look if the device number doesn't change -- but not sure why the
device number would change.???