relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol `len'

Richard richard@KarmannGhia.org
Sat Apr 5 16:42:00 GMT 2014

Hello Everyone,

I recently (two weeks ago or so) upgraded the cygwin installation on an XP
64 bit (corp edition) box and in getting things running on it again I've
been having various troubles, even though I was VERY careful to watch for
any installation errors - none were noticed. Normally I don't do
development on this box but copy over from other systems. I had at least
one program that was not behaving correctly - it would apparently hide
output sent to stdout among other mysteries. After fiddling with things I
decided to just rebuild on that box from sources - it's almost all gnu c.
(Note that this code needs to run unchanged on many different platforms.)

At some point I get to the gcc call to bind together three object files
into an executable - all the object files having just been built with zero
errors - and I get this particular "undefined reference to `len'" error.
Of course I went hunting for the use of 'len' - which is a pretty absurd
effort as a simple grep matches on coutless noise such as 'filename' or
'strlen', etc. However, a thorough search revealed no uses of just 'len',
yet I don't deny I could possibly have overlooked it. Even so, this
directory was taken wholesale from a 64 bit system (Win 7) with an older
cygwin installation where the code compiles and runs fine. So somehow I
don't think it's actually in my code but rather a library reference
problem somehow.

The specific set of error output from make is:

$ gcc -o ctjc.exe ctjc.o hashc.o sha1.o;
ctjc.o:ctjc.c:(.text+0x2287): undefined reference to `len'
ctjc.o:ctjc.c:(.text+0x2287): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32
against undefined symbol `len'
/usr/bin/ld: ctjc.o: bad reloc address 0x0 in section `.pdata'
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Invalid operation

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Richard