Fatal error from Cygwin emacs-w32 every day or so

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Apr 19 23:38:00 GMT 2014

On 4/15/2014 12:13 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 4/15/2014 12:12 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:08:15 -0700
>>> From: Ken Brown

>>> This backtrace doesn't make sense.  If you look at the source code,
>>> you'll see that if wait_proc is NULL on entry to
>>> wait_reading_process_output, then line 4677 is never reached.  I'm not
>>> sure what would cause a bogus backtrace like this.  BLODA?
>>> Optimization?
>>>
>>> In any case, I suggest that you wait a week until I have a chance to
>>> build a pretest of 24.4 for you to try.  I'll build it without
>>> optimization to make debugging easier.
>>
>> This is a known problem with GnuTLS support, it was solved in the
>> Emacs repository last November (bzr revision 114956, if someone wants
>> the diffs), and surely should be solved in the upcoming Emacs 24.4.
>
> Thanks, Eli!  In that case I'll make a new release of emacs-24.3 with
> that patch applied, to see if it resolves the issue for the OP.

I've rebuilt emacs-24.3 with the gnutls fix.  David and Achim (and
anyone else who's been experiencing these crashes), please try the
following binary and let me know if it solves the problem:

    http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin/emacs-w32.exe.xz

You might have to do "chmod +x emacs-w32.exe" after uncompressing it.

If it fixes the problem, I'll issue a new release of emacs-24.3.  If
not, I'll build a pretest of emacs-24.4 for you to try.

Ken