update just ruby on offline cygwin installation

Thu Aug 7 20:53:00 GMT 2014

On 08/07/2014 04:32 PM, LMH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have cygwin running on a box that does not have an internet
> connection. I would like to update ruby to 1.9.3p448 to make it
> compatible with some of my newer scripts. I'm not sure how to do that
> without updating the entire installation, using a new installer, etc.
>
> This is a fairly old install before mintty was the default terminal. It
> would also be nice to switch to mintty if that is also possible under
> the same circumstances.

I don't think anyone here would really recommend the piecemeal updating
of packages, though nothing prevents you from doing so.  Obviously, the
more out-of-date your installation is, the more likely you may see some
issues as a result.  If you're going to do this off-line, the easiest
thing to do is the brute-force thing - mirror a mirror, grab the current
setup*.exe, take both to the machine which you want to update, point
setup*.exe at the mirrored packages, pick the ones you want to update
and let it do its thing.  Success guaranteed.*

* YMMV ;-)

--
Larry