glib errors with latest gdb

Wed Aug 13 14:57:00 GMT 2014

On Aug 13 10:28, Ken Brown wrote:
> I'm getting errors with the latest gdb when trying to debug programs that
> depend on glib.  Here's an example, run from an xterm window:
>
> $ gdb /usr/bin/gvim
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.8
> [...]
> Reading symbols from /usr/bin/gvim...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /usr/bin/gvim
> [New Thread 4860.0x1b44]
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/gdb/auto-load/usr/bin/cyggobject-2.0-0.dll-gdb.py", line
> 9, in <module>
>     from gobject import register
>   File "/usr/share/glib-2.0/gdb/gobject.py", line 3, in <module>
>     import gdb.backtrace
> ImportError: No module named backtrace

I see this error, too.  Unfortunately I'm not a python guru so this
is rather opaque to me.  gdb itself doesn't provide a gdb.backtrace
method, afaics.

However, despite this message, gvim starts normally.  And emacs-nox as
well as many other CLI applications can be started just fine, too.

But GDB hangs with emacs-X11 for some reason, even if I disable the
python modules.  From a quick GDB session it's not clear why this occurs :(

> Reverting to the previous gdb solves the problem.
>
> My actual use case involves emacs-w32 rather than gvim, but I tested gvim
> also to make sure that this wasn't emacs-specific.  The error is more than
> cosmetic, at least in the emacs case; gdb freezes and has to be killed from
> the Task Manager.

Oh well.  I'll try to find out why this occurs in the next couple of
days.  Why on earth is it always emacs, the exact opposite of a simple
testcase |(

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat