repo with CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict

Robert Bu robert_bu@realsil.com.cn
Fri Aug 15 01:57:00 GMT 2014

Thank you for your response.

Adam Dinwoodie wrote on 2014/8/15 0:44:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 07:38:33PM +0800, Robert Bu wrote:
>> If I set CYGWIN=winsymlinks:lnk, repo works. However, Windows native
>> Git tool, such as TortoiseGit cannot read the symlink file. I think
>> it treats the symlink file as a normal file and tries to parse the
>> file format as Git specifies.
>
> I've never used native Windows Git tools, but if they work in a similar
> way to Windows Subversion tools, they're expecting a "symlink" to be
> something that doesn't act like a symlink in any way whatsoever.
>
> I suspect this is one of those areas where Cygwin and native-Windows
> tools aren't going to play nicely without a lot of difficulty because of
> the fundamental differences between *nix and Windows approaches.
>
> The only useful suggestion I have is to abandon Windows Git tools.  If
> you want GUIs you could try gitk and git-gui in Cygwin (you'll need to
> install an X server to use these).
Yes, I'ved used gitk as in Linux. It's not so user-friendly as TortoiseGit.

> You could also try suggesting the TortoiseGit folk handle the symlinks
> created by Cygwin (of whatever flavour) as symlinks in the Git
> repository, but even if they accept that as a feature request I'd guess
> it'd be a while before it'd be available.
So, I'm trying with winsymlinks:nativestrict. I expect Native Git tool
can work with it, since it's 'native'.

>> I guess Windows native tool can handle the symlink if
>> "CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict".
>> However, if I set CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict, repo init fails with
>>      os.symlink(os.path.relpath(src, os.path.dirname(dst)), dst)
>>      OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
>
> This seems odd, although the error here really doesn't say very much
> about what's going on.  I've no idea if this is being run in Cygwin
> Python or Windows Python, and I have no idea of the directory structure
> and symlink locations in the paths it's using.
It must be Cygwin Python. I do not install any Windows Python.

B.R.
Robert.