cygwin now supports shared libraries?

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Mon Aug 18 18:38:00 GMT 2014

On 8/16/2014 05:12, Gery . wrote:

> so, Cygwin now supports shared libraries or always did?

Cygwin's binutils could link to DLLs (shared libraries) from the
beginning, if only because Windows' own APIs are all DLL-based.

I did a fair bit of Googling to try and find out when gcc -shared
started working, but couldn't find a reference.  I'd guess it was pretty
early on, since I can't remember a time when Cygwin couldn't create
DLLs.  (I've been using Cygwin since B18, the first packaged release.)

There have been occasional problems.  For instance, I seem to recall a
problem where C++ library DLLs failed when thrown exceptions crossed the
DLL boundary, many years ago.  While that problem existed, the standard
recommendation was to build affected libraries statically, since they
wouldn't work right otherwise.  But, that's very much not the same thing
as "Cygwin cannot create DLLs."