Windows 7 sshd can only login as cyg_server

Mon Aug 25 15:36:00 GMT 2014

<snip>

>> I can only make a local non-admin user.  If I use that, it is just
>> returning "Permission denied" after I enter the password.  I guess I'll
>> have to fiddle with it a little more to see if I can figure out why that
>> is.  But that seems tangential to the issue reported.
>
> But your effect doesn't sound good either.

Indeed.

>> If I try using the cyg_server account (yuck, I feel filthy! ;-) ), I get
>> kicked out the same way as reported minus the message about chown.  That's
>> as close as I've gotten and, of course, it's exactly opposite what was
>> reported.
>
> Right.  But the default setup of the cyg_server account in /etc/passwd
> is to start /bin/false as login shell.  Did you change that to /bin/bash?

Right.  No I didn't.  I believe my half-finished thought was to suggest the
OP had done this to get the connection with cyg_server to work.  Don't we
have that mind-reading plugin for the list working yet?  It would help
allot. ;-)

<snip>

>> Indeed.  Maybe the OP has an actual file for the pseudo /dev/pty1 file?  If
>> so, maybe the permissions on the file are getting in the way??
>
> That would be one good idea but I think that's not very likely.
> Cygwin's device handling wouldn't notice the file and call all
> the internal functions for ptys instead.  This includes chown,
> which on ptys is a change of the ACL of four synchronization objects
> representing the pty.

Yeah, I had experimented a little with this idea myself to see if I could
prove that this would have any effect but I couldn't (as you suggest)...

--
Larry