pdfnup ignores ~/.pdfjam.conf

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Dec 4 12:31:00 GMT 2014

On 12/3/2014 6:01 PM, Paul wrote:
> I'm using pdfjam that comes with 64-bit cygwin's
> texlive-collection-binextra package, dated 29 May 2013.  I have the
> following in my ~/.pdfjam.conf:
>
>     paper='letterpaper'
>     nup='1x2'
>     landscape='landscape'
>     frame='true'
>
> I invoke pdfjam using
>
>     pdfnup filename.pdf
>
> and the messages show that the ~/.pdfjam.conf is being read, as are
> the switches therein.
>
>    pdfjam: This is pdfjam version 2.08.
>    pdfjam: Reading any site-wide or user-specific defaults...
>                ##
>                ## From /home/User.Name/.pdfjam.conf:
>                ##
>                paper='letterpaper'
>                nup='1x2'
>                landscape='landscape'
>                frame='true'
>    pdfjam: Effective call for this run of pdfjam:
>            /bin/pdfjam --suffix nup --nup '2x1'
>               --landscape -- filename.pdf -
>    pdfjam: Calling pdflatex...
>    pdfjam: Finished.  Output was to
>               '/home/User.Name/tmp/filename-nup.pdf'.
>
> The "Effective call" above shows that ~/.pdfjam.conf is being ignored,
> even though the switch settings are being read.  The output confirms
> this.  However, if I specify the switch settings in the pdfnup
> statement itself, they are accepted.

I've never used pdfnup, but it's a shell script whose last line is

   exec pdfjam --suffix nup --nup 2x1 --landscape "$@"

So it's explicitly supplying options that will override the settings in
~/.pdfjam.conf.  This is consistent with the documentation for pdfnup.  The
latter doesn't mention ~/.pdfjam.conf; it says to supply command line options to
override the defaults.

Ken