OpenSSL as Base package

Steven Penny svnpenn@gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:27:00 GMT 2014

I feel that OpenSSL should be a Cygwin Base package. I looked at these distros

    Debian  http://debian.org/CD/live
    Fedora  http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde
    Puppy   http://puppylinux.org
    Porteus http://porteus.org
    MSYS2   http://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2

and they all come with OpenSSL pre-installed. The only trouble I see with this
is currently Cygwin OpenSSL has Perl dependency. Debian has resolved this by
maintaining 2 Perl packages

    http://packages.debian.org/perl-base
    includes /bin/perl
    1.4 MB

    http://packages.debian.org/perl
    includes /bin/cpan
    4.2 MB

Of course the Cygwin package sizes will be different, but it shows significant
space can be saved for users who do not need a full Perl install. This does fly
in the face of my previous protestations

However by my calculations this could change the package sizes to

    current Cygwin perl  14.0 MB
    new Cygwin perl-base  3.5 MB
    new Cygwin perl      10.5 MB

I think most people would be fine with having a small Cygwin "perl-base" in the
"Base" category.