Strange problem running Cygwin installer

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 22:51:00 GMT 2014

On 16/12/2014 21:44, Kevin Van Horn wrote:
> I'm having an odd problem installing Cygwin. After downloading the installer and double-clicking on it, and clicking "Run" on the "Open File - Security Warning" popup dialog, I get the "busy" wheel for maybe 1 or two seconds,  then it disappears and nothing else happens - no installer window, nothing. However, Task Manager still shows the installer process, although it is not using any CPU.
>
> This is on a machine running Windows 7 Professional. It happens with both setup-x86.exe and setup-x86_64.exe.

Unable to reproduce on Win 7 Ultimate with either x86 or x86_64
installers. A few things to check: Firstly, when you see the busy
spinning wheel, is there any CPU activity from either Cygwin's setup or
another process? Have you checked your anti-virus logs? Try scanning the
installers for viruses (they should be clean!) and then running again
with your anti-virus turned off.

If you have UAC enabled, do you see the UAC prompt when running Cygwin
setup? Are you running from an account where you would expect to be able
to run with elevated privileges? Can you run the setup executable as
Administrator? In a corporate environment, group policy and other rights
may have changed since you last installed Cygwin.

I've checked the DLL dependencies of setup-x86_64.exe compared with the
previous version and there is no new DLL dependency. So if you were able
to run previous versions of Cygwin setup then consider what has changed
on your machine since. Anti-virus is an obvious place to start, as these
signatures change frequently.

I assume that there is no taskbar entry for Cygwin setup when you
observe this behaviour - so the window isn't minimised, hidden behind
other windows or off the screen somewhere?

A few things to try there - hope one of the above helps.

Dave.