ld.exe segfault when compiling Box Backup

Fri Dec 26 23:48:00 GMT 2014

On 12/24/2014 10:09 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Dear Cygwin Developers,
>
> I've been successfully building official Windows releases of Box Backup
> using Cygwin and its MinGW compilers for many years. (MinGW alone doesn't
> provide enough POSIX compatibility to run the test suite). Now I'm trying to
> build a new release on Windows 7 with 64-bit MinGW compilers and running
> into a problem where ld.exe is crashing during compilation.
>
> I narrowed down the test case to two files, and this command:
>
> Chris@win7-64bit-vm /tmp
> $ x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++ BackupClientInodeToIDMap.o libqdbm.a
> collect2: error: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault], core dumped
>
> You can download those two files here:
> http://gcc.flexdns.net/bugreport/BackupClientInodeToIDMap.o
> http://gcc.flexdns.net/bugreport/libqdbm.a
>
> Compiles that don't include both of those files appear to work OK, so it's
> something about them. BackupClientInodeToIDMap.o is one of the few parts of
> Box Backup (perhaps the only part) that depends on qdbm.
>
> Note that I ran cygcheck after downgrading to an older binutils to see if
> that would help, but it didn't. I get the same symptoms with "GNU ld (GNU
> Binutils) 2.24.51.20140411" installed (mingw64-x86_64-binutils
> 2.24.0.3.85cf705-1).
>
> I don't really know how to investigate this any further. I know very little
> about ld. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

If you haven't already, I recommend checking out this issue at the Mingw-w64
site (http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net).  The Cygwin packages really come
from them and they are the maintainers.  They are best equipped to help you
with this issue.

--
Larry