Invoking Cygwin vim from Windows Explorer

carolus worwor@bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 10 06:13:00 GMT 2014

On 2/9/2014 5:54 PM, Lee wrote:

> I'm surprised this worked, but
> right click on a .txt file in explorer, select open with, choose program
> click on "browse", navigate to c:\cygwin\bin (or wherever you
> installed cygwin), double-click on vi.exe

Hot dog!  It really works.  (But on my system it is vim-nox.exe, not vi.exe)

This solves the problem, but it would still be nice to get the "SendTo"
method working to provide an option for when the default association is
not appropriate.

> have you tried http://www.vim.org/download.php
> installs a windows version of vi that you can put in your path&  no
> nasty cygwin/windows permissions or line endings issues.

Some lines in my configuration file go back 20 years and I'd rather not
monkey with my habitual environment. (I still use .exrc, from old vi
days, rather than .vimrc) I also prefer to use a vim version that is
ubiquitous on linux and even present on my wife's Mac.