g77 on cygwin64

Scott T. Marshall marshallst@appstate.edu
Wed Feb 12 07:05:00 GMT 2014

On 2/12/2014 12:28 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 12/02/2014 04:54, Scott T. Marshall wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> First a compliment: I recently went from the old x86 version of cygwin
>> to cygwin64. I was pleased to see that many of my perl scripts run about
>> twice as fast. Thanks!
>>
>> My question: Would it be possible to have the old g77 fortran compiler
>> as an optional install for cygwin64? I realize that g77 is now
>> deprecated by gfortran, but I have a lot of old fortran 77 code that
>> does not compile correctly with gfortran. Since I am not a fortran coder
>> (I mainly use interpreted languages), I do not have the skills to figure
>> out what the issues with gfortran are. It would immensely useful to have
>> a cygwin64 g77 as an optional install.
>>
>> If this is not an option, could anyone maybe point me in the right
>> direction as to how to compile g77 myself? I attempted to do so with an
>> old g77 from gcc version 3.4.6, but the makefiles do not recognize the
>> uname of cygwin64, and I'm not sure of what compiler flags to use, so
>> the build always fails.
>>
>> Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.
>> Cheers,
>> -Scott
>>

> have you tested with -std=legacy ?
>
> '-std=STD'
>      Specify the standard to which the program is expected to conform,
>      which may be one of 'f95', 'f2003', 'f2008', 'gnu', or 'legacy'.
>      The default value for STD is 'gnu', which specifies a superset of
>      the Fortran 95 standard that includes all of the extensions
>      supported by GNU Fortran, although warnings will be given for
>      obsolete extensions not recommended for use in new code.  The
>      'legacy' value is equivalent but without the warnings for obsolete
>      extensions, and may be useful for old non-standard programs. The
>      'f95', 'f2003' and 'f2008' values specify strict conformance to the
>      Fortran 95, Fortran 2003 and Fortran 2008 standards, respectively;
>      errors are given for all extensions beyond the relevant language
>      standard, and warnings are given for the Fortran 77 features that
>      are permitted but obsolescent in later standards. '-std=f2008ts'
>      allows the Fortran 2008 standard including the additions of the
>      Technical Specification (TS) 29113 on Further Interoperability of
>      Fortran with C.

Yup, I tried that compiler flag (-std=legacy) with gfortran. No luck.
Back when cygwin was x86 only and had g77, the same code compiled
correctly and ran fine. I have the same issues on Linux boxes, so the
gfortran issue is not unique to cygwin. The solution I found was to dig
up the old binaries for my Linux boxes and install g77 on them. I don't
think I can do this for cygwin since g77 was never a part of cygwin64.
Would it be very difficult to take the old g77 source and recompile it
for cygwin64? Has anyone successfully done this before?
Cheers
-Scott