Newbie Alias and Profile questions

Mike Rushton mrushton@ptd.net
Wed Feb 12 09:08:00 GMT 2014


OK, I got it working ...  I have my home in an directory other that what 
Cygwin defaults because other software run needs

I thought my files were being overwritten ... but no - I was modifying 
the wrong files.

After I found the correct files and modified the .bash_profile 
everything was fine.

I was not aware of this .bash_profile and I was not aware of the source 
command.   On the versions of Unix/Linux that I have used
I would always do a .profile to execute the commands in it when I made 
changes.

So again I was making changes and the shell was not aware of the changes.

Hey,  I've been using Cygwin for like 2 weeks ,,,






On 2/10/2014 9:13 PM, Mike Rushton wrote:
> Well let me work at it tomorrow.
>
> I know how to do this on other unix systems, just that Cygwin is not 
> acting as I am used too.
>
> I have done things like this on some versions of RHEL, UnixWare, 
> Xenix, MKS Tookit.
>
> I guess I have to keep reading the Documentation and trying things.
>
> ( and no more use of the term Newbie :-)  )
>
>
> On 2/10/2014 8:26 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 2/10/2014 8:15 PM, Mike Rushton wrote:
>>> Can some one give me some hints about this ?
>>>
>>> I read the documentation and can't figure this out.
>>>
>>> I am trying to put an alias in a .bashrc
>>>
>>> alias clear='printf "\033c"'
>>>
>>> But what .bashrc do I put this in ?  in /ect/skel or the one my user
>>> directory.   I put this code in and it seems to get overwritten.
>>> I don't understand what I am doing wrong.
>>
>> Overwritten?  By what?  What's your home directory?
>>
>>> It is a minor thing that i can't clear the screen, but i want to 
>>> work at
>>> this and try to fix this.
>>
>> OK but 'clear' will do what you want.
>>
>>> Then I want to add a script to my profile.   but what one the 
>>> .profile or
>>> .bash_profile ?
>>
>> Unless you want it available to all users and other shells, put it in 
>> your
>> .bash_profile.
>>
>>> Other that these problems, I am converting my Korn shell scripts to 
>>> bash
>>> under Cygwin and it is going pretty good so far.
>>
>> FYI, at least the last 2 questions above are general UNIX/Linux 
>> questions.
>> You should consult a good UNIX/Linux resource for some basic user 
>> tutorials
>> and guides.
>>
>>
>>
>


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list