g77 on cygwin64

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 17:20:00 GMT 2014

On 12/02/2014 16:07, Scott T. Marshall wrote:
> Thank-you to those that responded with suggestions involving my fortran
> issues. Fixing the code is not something I am going to pursue since the
> source code was written by several different colleagues and is spread
> out amongst many .f files. My colleagues have no interest in fixing it
> since they have g77 on their unix machines, and to them, it isn't
> broken. The strange thing is that gfortran does compile the code, but
> once compiled, the executables have strange behavior mainly involving
> problems reading in data files. So it is not clear to me exactly what
> needs to be updated in the code.
> I have tried to compile gcc 3.4.6 from source with no luck, but I am not
> so good with compiler flags and makefiles. I will give it a go again,
> but I am not optimistic.
> So, to avoid further mean comments about my course of action being
> "stupid", I will sign off.
> -Scott

Hi Scott

As he wrote "Sorry for my terrible english...",
I assume it was not intentional offensive.

Coming back to your issue, it is really curious that gfortran compiles
the code but behaves wrongly, I was expecting it rejects the code
if not in line with latest standard.
I saw rejected code with lapack some time ago, and the correction was
trivial. But compiling and not working is a serious gfortran bug.

Have you a "short test case" ?

Regards
Marco