Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Lord Laraby lord.laraby@gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 18:41:00 GMT 2014

Subject: Re: get rid of getpwent? (Was: cygwin-1.7.28 getpwent header
declaration changes ?)

This would be a nice mechanism for typical windows home systems except for
the format of the cygwin tag that goes in the comment field. Home users
that utilize 'net user USERNAME "/comment:yadda yadda"' command cannot use
equal signs on the command line, and the entire string has to be quoted to
prevent angle brackets from messing with redirection. Equal signs are
stripped by CMD.exe and the nexted quotes are stripped as well.

Example: I entered the following at elevated cmd prompt,

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user TestUser "/comment:<cygwin check="maybe"
then="okay>"
The command completed successfullly.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user TestUser
User name                   TestUser
Full name                   Test User
Comment                     <cygwin check=maybe then=okay>
The command completed successfullly.

So, I do not know how to get the information into the field in the proper
format.